OBGYN Rotation Self Reflection

This was my second rotation and I had a fantastic learning experience. My rotation of Woodhull was 5 weeks long consisting of OBGYN clinic and on-call. I had an equal mix of obstetrical and gynecological learning. Clinic and floor were very different experiences and both had great learning curves. During clinic, I had to learn the flow very quickly. I was fortunate enough to work with Professor Melendez and it was a very hands-on participation. I learned how to type OBGYN SOAP notes, review lab results, perform pelvic and breast exams, and most importantly – how to relay information to the patient. For example, if a patient was coming back to review Pap smear results, I would have to find creative ways to say “your cytology showed ASCUS.” Instead, I learned to say “your previous pap results showed abnormal cells and we need further testing to see what is going on.” Moreover, I would say Labor and Delivery was the most challenging part of this rotation because you had 2 patients to keep in mind- mother and baby. Thankfully, I just came off my Pediatric rotation and I found my experience to be enriched with an overlap in learning. For example, doing the APGAR score and determining fetus health on maternal history were both overarching themes in both OBGYN and Pediatric rotations.

In addition to the patient-care experiences, this rotation taught me how to become the biggest advocate for myself. I often found myself competing with med students to see certain cases or I was stuck with a preceptor who did not involve PA-students in their case load. I quickly discovered that whatever I get out of this rotation is what I put into it. There were days where patient volume was low and I made it a point to stay later just to see more patients. I would even come in early to scrub into a C-section where I knew other students weren’t assigned to. If the midwives did not call me to interview a patient, I would do so anyways with the permission of the patient. I would make sure to ask the nurses if I can place a foley or perform venipunctures. Unlike my previous rotation, I found that I had to go out of my way to ensure I was getting the best learning experience a PA student could ask for. You can’t always rely on preceptors and I will carry this lesson in high regard for the rest of my rotations.

I end my OBGYN rotation with much juxtaposition from my Pediatric rotation. When I finished my Pediatric rotation, I was personally excited to look to the future to have children. However, at the end of my OBGYN rotation, I find apprehension to have children because the child-bearing process is rigorous and truly humbling. Furthermore, I want to end my reflection saying that Women’s Health is a beautiful field in medicine. It is a cross over between new life, patient education, hygiene, relationship building, motherhood, and strong women in a paternalistic world of medicine. I am excited to run into future OBGYN patients at my next rotations and provide them with the proper TLC approach I have learned at Woodhull. I am truly thankful for this experience.